INTRODUCING THE MAHZOR LEV SHALEM
Following the 5782 High Holidays, the Ritual Committee recommended that with our Silverman Mahzor inventory depleted and no longer in print, it was the perfect time to introduce a new Mahzor to the Adath Israel community.
This presented both a problem and an opportunity:
- The PROBLEM: Congregants wishing to purchase a new High Holiday prayer book for the upcoming High Holidays could no longer do so. Silverman was first published 60 years ago and would no longer be available.
- The OPPORTUNITY: Introduce a new mahzor that would be much more contemporary and relevant for today’s Adath Israel members.
After a comprehensive investigation by our clergy in collaboration with the Ritual Committee, we are pleased to announce the introduction of the Mahzor Lev Shalem for High Holidays 5783.
WHY MAHZOR LEV SHALEM?
Since its first publication in 2010, Mahzor Lev Shalem has sold nearly half a million copies around the world. Mahzor Lev Shalem embraces the diverse backgrounds and expectations of our community and opens doors for every congregant, representing the best of the Conservative movement—the classical and the contemporary, and the historical and the spiritual.
- For the congregant who is familiar with t’fillah, the mahzor’s running commentary presents both a historical overview and insight into the meaning of prayers.
- For the congregant who is not as comfortable with Hebrew, the English translations are close to the meaning of the original and the transliterations are plentiful.
- For the seeker who comes to services looking for meaning and direction, the mahzor’s rich assortment of readings includes classic piyyutim that appear in Conservative publications for the first time; Hasidic stories and reflections; contemporary Israeli and American poets, and leading Conservative movement rabbis.
- And with abundant readings that focus on spiritual issues and Tikkun Olam, Mahzor Lev Shalem speaks to the contemporary concerns of our congregants.
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF THE MAHZOR LEV SHALEM?
The mahzorim are available for purchase BY MEMBERS ONLY at a cost of just $35 per book. That is significantly less than the retail value which is at least $60 if not more elsewhere in the city or online.
This price will be available until Yom Kippur, after which the price will increase to $45/book.
HOW DO I ORDER THE MAHZOR LEV SHALEM?
To place your order:
- To order online, please click HERE. The office will call when your books are available on-site, after which you can stop in during business hours to pick up your order.
- Or if you wish to bypass the online option and simply visit the office, please call ahead to let the office know you are coming so we can be sure we have sufficient stock on site. Remember, we do not take cash, just credit card.
CAN I BORROW THE MAHZOR LEV SHALEM FIRST TO SEE IF I LIKE IT?
We will have a sample available in the office to view while in the office. In the meantime, you can view an excerpt from the Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur Evening Service by clicking HERE to see how much more user-friendly the new Mahzor Lev Shalem is.
CAN I USE MY SILVERMAN MAHZOR THIS YEAR?
Yes, our clergy will be identifying the parallel pages between the Lev Shalem and Silverman Mahzorim throughout all High Holiday services for members in the sanctuary and those at home participating via Livestream. Please click HERE to view the comparison.
Please contact the office with any questions:
- Phone: (416) 635-5340
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org